Sunday, August 9, 2015

"Sumatran Sentinel" - progression

Tigers are one of my favourite subjects, and as with all of my animal portraits, its the eyes that I start with - as these can really make or break a picture.

Tigers in particular have such character in their eyes. Their seem to stare directly at you, and that intensity can be brought to life in a painting, by some carefully placed flicker of light and reflection. If the eyes work out (and they're both in proportion and not squint!), then the rest of the face usually takes shape around them.

So, over a one week period, this is how my latest tiger portrait took shape:


This picture was done to raise awareness about the conservation of the Sumatran Tiger, one of the most threatened of the world's remaining sub-species of tiger.

Here he is again in his full glory!


Follow me on Facebook
Follow me on Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment